This spectacular Alta Vista Road house is one you have probably admired for years just driving by. Built in 1929, it has stood the test of time... Please read some of the excerpts from the write-up when it was on the Filson Club Historical Society house tour. ''Piecing together the oral history, it appears that the Fischer house was designed and built by Willy Mae and William Baird in 1929. The Bairds seem to have built several houses on spec, possibly living in one while the next was being built. Others were built on Red Fox and Eastern Parkway. Willy Mae, later Mrs. Harry Whayne, was associated with the Strassel Company for many years, and the design of the house is attributed to her. William Veeneman, a board chairman of Churchill Downs, was a longtime owner before the Fischers bought the house in 1971. The white painted brick, seven bay house is reminiscent of Mount Vernon and sits well back on its deep lot between Alta Vista and Seneca Golf Course. Its two-story porch supported by six paneled posts spans the central five bays. The first-floor windows under the porch have panels below to match the French doors in the two end bays. The porch roof is flat and connects to a hip roof with dormers over the second, fourth, and sixth bays and at the ends. The cornice features console-shaped modillion blocks. The front door and sidelights are framed by fluted pilasters which carry a 3-part paneled entablature and a pediment above the central section. Inside, the entry features a carefully detailed stair which leads to a landing with a Palladian window added by the Fischers. Rising from the landing, the stair treads are reflected on the reverse side, a detail rarely seen in the original outside New England. Archways and transoms lead from the hall to the living room to the left and the dining room to the right. The highlight of the dining room is an Adams Scottish sideboard. The living room is accented with panel molding and Federal mantel. An equally spacious kitchen and breakfast room are located beyond the dining room in the analogous space, and bedrooms are located on the second floor. Thus, the house stood until 1989 when the two grand pianos and harpsichord in the living room rose and demanded better accommodations. With the help of John Bickel, a gallery was added behind the hall and living room connecting to a twenty-eight by thirty-two-foot music room. In the process, a hall, hidden stairs, bedroom suite, office and bar were also added. Better known for projects such as the U of L School of Music and the airport, Bickel reveled in his first "non-modern" commission. The fenestration in the gallery and Ken Von Roenn skylight, reminiscent of a previous bay, attest to his attention to detail. The music room itself, with eight arched windows and interior arches which replicate the transoms of the entry, is a wonderful room for daily living. Outside, Mary Webb has provided an appropriate backdrop for the room." There is a detached 3+ garage with living quarters. The price reflects the need for updating. Bring your contractor and decorator and plan to make this "Grand Dame" your own! The seller will share the home inspection completed last fall! The house is being sold in "as is" condition.
Listing courtesy of Kentucky Select Properties.